6/17/2008

‘No Other Gods’ Summer Bible Study


Today is the launch date for a summer Bible study titled “No Other Gods” - at first, I was not going for it and especially when I do not know the author. But when it’s recommended by Beth Moore in addition to being the facilitator- it was well worth a shot. I have other studies going on at the moment (Stepping Up and an in-depth study of Hebrews). Oh man I love the book of Hebrews. It can be read straight through without stopping because it’s just a glorious letter from an unknown author. Come to think of it – not unknown after all but from God.


Getting back to the point – not quite having my book for the study yet and LifeWay has graciously offered the first session and after reading just day 1 of the study – talk about conviction. It's an understatement. God knew I needed this study and for good reasons.


If you had asked if I had if I had any idols in my life –to which I would have said: are you kidding – no ma’am or no sir - not I. But it was evident after reading the author’s definition of what could be considered modern day idols that I have a few in my closets. They are so subtle and that were the danger lies. They are occupying God’s territory in my life. An idol is:

…is something other than God that we set our heart on (Luke
12:29; 1 Cor. 10:19), that motivates us (1 Cor. 4:5), that masters
and rules us (Ps. 119:133; Eph. 5:5), or that we trust, fear, or
serve (Isa. 42:17; Matt 6:24; Luke 12:4-5). … An idol can also be
referred to as a “false god” or a “functional god.

No Other Gods by Kelly Minter p 13.


Enough said. Time for some serious self reflection.


Father God, I will be on my knees before your throne begging you to reveal these creatures (though they take different forms and go by different names) and help me to rid my closets, my mind, and my life of them so that you can take back stolen territories. I stand on tiptoe anticipating your work in my life this summer.


With a heart longing to please you and making You the sole King! Amen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment